Dynamo Glare Study


[Edit:  Dynamo now has a proper Raybounce node, which makes this much easier]

User question:
I need  to perform a glare analysis of a glass façade on surrounding buildings. In the past, a colleague used rhino and python to do this, but I'm going to give it a try using Dynamo. I think that I can need to create a script that would trace incident and reflected rays from the glass panels. What  I need to first figure out is how to get a point of origin for the rays (the sun). I have tried the SunPath Direction node in Dynamo, however I am a bit confused on what exactly the output is. Is it just a point or is it a 3D vector. I am extremely unfamiliar with python, so I would like to not need to use it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Buildz von Doom (Visiting Contributor):
An excellent question, Peasant.  Buidz von Doom was recently commissioned to erect an edifice across the street from our high school gym teacher's condominium. (Yes, Coach Schenckle, the one who said we would never strike fear into the hearts of the populous, no matter how many mud push-ups we were forced to endure.)
We wanted to make sure the glare conditions for Unit 3c we absolutely perfect, and so used the raw power of Dynamo and vector transforms to create the ultimate parabolic reflector.




Happy New Year Coach Schenckle.

Download the samples files from here.

Comments

  1. Zach,

    I love the work you guys are doing. Thank you so much for doing it. By the way this is great

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem this solution would take into account for shading without a ray tracer. Correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, you'd need to filter out the "rays" that first hit an obstruction. It would ideally also have some handling of secondary bounces

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life mirrors art... http://www.cityam.com/article/1378091289/exclusive-walkie-scorchie-melted-my-jag

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment